The IUTAM Symposium on Laminar-Turbulent Transition 2019
Date: 2-6 September 2019
Location: Imperial College London, UK
Scientific scope: We have received unprecedented interest in the IUTAM Transition 2019. We received nearly 200 abstract submissions. We run
plenary sessions, individual talks and networking sessions. The scientific programme covered a range of fundamental topic areas, including:
- Global analysis of instabilities and receptivities for complex configurations;
- Nonlinear dynamical-systems approaches to minimal seeds and transition to turbulence;
- Influence of multi-physics phenomena on transition: reactive flows, non-Newtonian material behaviour, interfacial flows, flows with interacting structures;
- Novel experimental measurement and evaluation techniques for transition in complex flows;
- Roughness-induced transition; transition from steps, gaps, junctions and other geometric imperfections;
- Transition in hypersonic flows; prediction of thermal loads.
- Active and passive control of flows undergoing transition; transition delay;
- Transition mechanisms in natural and controlled environments; receptivity techniques and studies;
- Late stages of transition and the breakdown to fully developed turbulence;
- Transient growth problems and bypass mechanisms and their role in the transition process.
- We received very positive feedback from attendees on the well organised and attended meeting.
- Symposium was well attended by early-career academics, post-graduate students, industry representatives, senior members of the community and invited guests.
- 175 registered delegates of which 40% are PhDs
- Evening reception (Monday, 2nd September) and conferenced dinner (on the 5th September) provided networking opportunities for attendees to discuss future collaborations.
- The conference proceedings will be published by Springer.
Conference Programme: IUTAM
Transition 2019 secured a full set of nine internationally renowned invited
plenary and keynote speakers spanning a range of topic areas:
- Stefania Cherubini, Politechnico
di Bari, Italy.
- Jeffrey Crouch, The Boeing
- Mujeeb Malik, NASA Langley
Research Center, USA
- Tom Mullin, Oxford University, UK
- Helen Reed, Texas A&M
- Tamer Zaki, Johns Hopkins
- Andre Cavalieri, Instituto
Tecnologico de Aeronautica, Brazil
- Xiaolin Zhong, University of
California, Los Angeles, USA
- Maksim Ustinov, TsAGI Central
Aerohydrodynamic Institute, Russia
Five of the invited speakers were from the USA and one from Brasil. The rest is from Europe.
The conference included also 67 contributing talks and 78 poster presentations. The abstract for the conference posters can be found on the following page: https://ssl.linklings.net/conferences/iutam-transition/iutamtransition2019_proceedings/views/by_sub_type.html